SATO V.P. - Lauren Kerner
Hi, USY!! My name is Lauren Kerner and this year, Iím serving on Cabinet as your Social Action/Tikkun Olam Vice President. This is my second term as Regional SA/TO VP and my first year as an officer on the International General Board on the SA/TO Committee. I love SA/TO! Itís an amazing aspect of USY that allows us to engage in the immediate and extended world around us. Let me break it down- SA stands for social action. Social action encompasses hands on programming like visiting old age homes, making sandwiches for a homeless shelter, holding a toy drive, or anything that involves putting the time and resources of your chapter or region into making the world a better place. Tikkun Olam is the fundraising aspect of USY that raises tzedakah money for the USY TO program, which donates hundreds of thousands of dollars to people and organizations in need. 30% of TO money goes to scholarships for USYers, 30% goes to Conservative Jewish Socio-Religious programs in Israel (as well as T.O. programming costs), and 40% is allocated by regions and chapters to an organization of their choosing. See how amazing it is? USY gives you a place where you can make a difference. All we need is your passion and motivation to get these projects where they need to go. So thatís SA/TO! Here are some things about me!
- I live in Orange County, CA, I am 17 years old, I am a senior at Mission Viejo High School, and I go to Congregation BíNai Israel in Tustin, CA.
- I love my family! Mamma Kerner and Papa Kerner stop by events sometimes and they love meeting USYers. My sister Manya is married and presently expecting her baby boy!!! Yes, Iím going to become an aunt this year! My brother David (heís a sophomore) is my best friend and we are super close. My brother Daniel is also my best friend and my guardian angel!
- I love my chapter!!!! The chapter is the heart of USY and I would be lost without my CBI family.
- I went to my first regional event when I was a little eighth grader and from that moment, I knew I wanted to be a part of this USY family.
- I lean towards the tall side of the height spectrum.
- I spent the most amazing summer of my life on Lí Takayn Olam Pilgrimage in summer 2012 and EVERYONE SHOULD DO IT!!! That means YOU!! G3 2K12, youíre my starships for life! Shalosh boom.
- My favorite color is coral, place is Israel, activity is frolicking, meal is dinner, activity is meeting people, beach is Crystal Cove, and animals are lions and whales.
- I love hiking, taking naps in National Parks, swimming in the ocean, reading books, meeting new people, dancing in public, making funny faces, Moonrise Kingdom, Aroma ice cafť, sweet potato anything (ravioli, fries, bakeÖ I love sweet potatoes.), ice cream, Israel, music, stem cells, nontraditional education, and learning by experience.
- I am really passionate about being Jewish (and Native American), tolerance and understanding, Hevrah, Abayudaya, Special Olympics, education, women's rights, environmental protection, and prison reform.
Anyway, I love meeting people and I love making new friends and I really hope I can get to know you and you can get to know me!! I know this is going to be an amazing year for Far West! Let's do this!